The Metabolic Core Lab is available for both academic and non-academic investigators.
For more information please contact:
Ted Ciaraldi, PhD
858-552-8585 ext. 6450
- Provide excess cultured human skeletal muscle cells from metabolically well
characterized subjects for use as a tool to rapidly and effectively evaluate the
biologic activity of new compounds in human muscle.
- Prepare and maintain primary cultures of cells from human tissues.
- Maintain adipose tissue under defined conditions to test activities of new compounds.
Isolate adipocytes from adipose tissue.
Perform assays of metabolic flux in human adipocytes and muscle cells,
to test activities of new compounds or determine the impact of different
- Glucose uptake
- Fatty acid oxidation
- Pyrogenicity testing of labeled compounds prior to infusion.
- Determination of glucose-specific activity in serum from individuals infused
with 3H-glucose; calculate the rate of hepatic glucose production.
- Multiplex analysis of cytokines and inflammatory factors in samples:
plasma, serum, or culture media.